We've had 6 classes for wrestling the last two years in Arizona all at one arena. As someone whose been in the sport since 1960 the last two years I and several friends who were college wrestlers left after the 160-pound weight class, because it was taking forever.

They had two awards stands, and after each round presented 84 medals. Even by moving as fast as they could it still took forever.

I couldn't see the finals matches for the two farthest mats. It was held at the Jobing.com Arena in Glendale, Arizona which is only about 3 years old, it is an excellent venue.

I can sit through two sessions a day for 8-10 mats going at the same time for the NCAA tournament, but each session is over in 2-3 hours. When you are going on 5-6 hours for the finals it is way too long.

I miss the Grand State Championships that were held in 1975 and 1976 at Fort Hays. I was fortunate to be a volunteer assistant for Kapaun-Mt.Carmel which won both of those tournaments.

I think what Kansas and a few other states such as Arizona that have so many classes is to advance the top 3-4 kids per weight class to a Grand State Championship the following weekend after the individual state class championships. I really don't care if they keep a team score. As a wrestling purist I want to know who is the best wrestler in each weight class in that state. So do the college coaches.

For years in Arizona we wanted all of the state tournaments at the same venue. Finally we got it. When it was 4 classes it was okay, I could see all four mats, and it didn't take all night. Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.