Willy,
Your feelings about KSHSAA aside, do you believe that Kansas wrestling was stronger with higher quality wrestlers in 1970 than today? Were we spitting out a lot of D1 and olympic wrestlers in 1968 and it went bad in 1973? I don't remember it that way.
Should we abandon 8 man football in Kansas since those state champions are clearly not the best team in the state? I know wrestling is an individual sport, but it is also a team sport and the team state championship is important also. Should not Minneapolis and Ellis have the ability to compete with like sized schools annually for the team championship? Isn't part of the excitement of wrestling found in Norton vs Smith Center and Abiline vs Clay Center? It's not all about generating individuals who are world class wrestlers, and you can't do that in one weekend anyway. Zach Roberson's wrestling career was not affected by the lack of competition at state in high school.
I suppose we could teach three of the 4 state champions the lesson that they aren't the best in the state , but I'm pretty sure they are all familiar with the lessons of working hard, preparing correctly and making sacrifices to achieve a goal, and I doubt they appreciate their championships being called watered down.