|
|
|
Anonymous
Unregistered
|
|
Anonymous
Unregistered
|
hey what did everyone think of james annon's dismantling of denfending state champion tyrell spillman in the hoxie finals.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 357
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 357 |
Annon wrestled a great match. Scored two takedowns in the first period. Spillman battled back to close the gap and was in deep on takedown that would have evened the score, but Annon was able to throw a makeshift lateral drop as he was going down to score five and seal the win.
I am biased here, but the match was probably closer than the final score indicated. But, with that said, Annon was certainly the better wrestler on that nite.
He was very deserving of the tournament's outstanding wrestler award.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 19
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 19 |
i would have to agree for the most part. annon did wrestle a heck of a match, but after watching spillman wrestle for 4 years, i would have to say that probably wasnt one of his best matches.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 357
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 357 |
No doubt about that. Spillman looked great at the Colby Dual tournament though.
But don't discount Annon either. Annon was ahead of Spillman late in the 3rd period in a match at P-burg last year, but Spillman was able to reverse & near fall to secure the win that time.
Annon is tough and Spillman is really tough. It will be a fun year at 125 watching those two wrestle.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 1
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 1 |
I agree this will be an interesting season to see the both of these great wrestlers in action. No doubt that Annon could be seen as definetly one of the top contenders at the 3-2-1a state finals.
While Spillman was dismantling at colby, Annon was as well dominating over at clay center, his quickness and wirey figure gets him out of almost any jam, it will be an exciting year for both spillman and annon.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,190
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,190 |
Having seen Spilman several times and Annon last week, I believe Annon is greatly superior on his feet. I think Annon will maintain the upper hand.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 347
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 347 |
How do they compare to kyle patton of Wellsville? there will be a heck of a 125 bracket at Phillipsburg if they all stay up.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,190
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,190 |
I am not real sure about Patton. He is quick but I haven't seen him wrestle any real physical people at his weight yet. I saw the match with Annon and Close and frankly, I would pick Close of Clay Center in a rematch. I don't have a bias to either one, that is just what I think. If I was ranking 125 3A at this point. I would start with Annon. 2nd would be closer but I would pick Patton over Spilman, and put Orozco 4th. Frankly I didn't think Orozco looked very good. Maybe it was just because I was expecting more from him. By the way I do not know what they are ranked because I never check rankings, but this is how I see them. Patton has the skills to contend at 125, for me the jury is out on his physical matchup.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 357
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 357 |
I would say Annon has an edge on his feet, but not greatly superior. Spillman is better on top and is a near fall scoring machine if/when he gets you down. Both are able to escape from the bottom position.
Annon won round one, but i'll wait to see how they fare at the Norton Invite before I declare either of them greatly superior.
Patton is a true talent, but I will have to see him action at 125 - up two weight classes from last year - before I gauge how well he will be able to hang at 125. Not saying he can't do it - just saying I perceived him as more of a technician than a brawler and I'm curious to see how the weight jump plays into it - Spillman, Annon and Orozco are all physical.
Orozco is certainly dangerous, but may be lagging the pack at this stage of the young season. But I bet he improves as the year goes along.
It will be a great season at this tough weight class. Ranking would be Annon (prior win over Spillman), Spillman (defending state champ at 119), Patton (defending state champ at 112) in my book until I see more head-to-head match-ups.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 40
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 40 |
Annon and Patton will be a very good match but i think at the end Annon would end up with the win.
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
315
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums11
Topics36,097
Posts250,445
Members12,312
| |
Most Online11,620 May 14th, 2026
|
|
|
|